This is all about one of my great loves-baking! Cupcakes are what I really love making,
however I enjoy all baking, anything from a simple Victoria Sponge, puddings, bread, biscuits
to Game Pies and a good old Sunday Roast!! I will share some of my baking experiences
with you; recipes that I think everyone should know about and some of my funny
and distastrous moments. This will not be restricted just to the kitchen!

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Sweet 16?

My eldest, Jack, was 16 this week.  Naturally we had a family party to  celebrate this milestone birthday.  He has to share his birthday with his cousin, my niece, who is 14 years younger, they both share with good grace!!

16-old enough for lots of things, but still my little boy!!  Where on earth has the last 16 years gone? I have no idea, I just know that they have gone incredably fast.  He has sat his first GSE today, can ride a scooter, smoke, get married, it has all come round far too quickly for my liking.  I left home when I was 16, moved to Sussex and started my first job.  I have to admit, I would find it very hard if he were to go.  (Even though I joke and drop hints about leaving home, I don't really mean it, he'll probably be here until he's 30)!!

The requests were in-the most chocolatey of chocolate cakes was required  along with some girlie cupcakes and a pudding that everyone would like.   This is what I came up with:

Chocolate Mud Cake (covered in every conceivable chocolate you fancy)!!
This is a recipe that I have used of Jo Wheatley's (Jo's Blue Aga), GBBO 2011 winner.  I doubled the ingredients as I wanted to bake it in 2 X 11" tins

330 g softened butter
600 g caster sugar
6 Eggs
130 g S/R flour
400 g plain flour
2 tsp bicarb
135 g cocoa powder
400 ml of sour cream & 100 g cream cheese mixed together
cook for 45 mins @ 160
Mix caster sugar and butter until light and fluffy, add eggs one at a time beating in between each egg.Sieve flours bicarb and cocoa into a bowl, add half to mixture, fold in, add half of sour cream & cream cheese, fold in, then repeat with both, spoon into an 11 inch prepared tin. Cook for about 45 mins, leave to cool for 10  mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

I iced in standard choc butter cream, you can use Ganache, however this is a very rich cake and we all prefer the buttercream option!!  Choose your favourite chocs to decorate.  Choc fingers or flakes round the sides look good and a selection on the plate/cake stand.



I made a batch of girlie cuppies for Chloe Beau-note the bow!!


Chloe Beau herself!!

Oh and my old faithful pud-Lemon Merigue Pie, (for the non cake lovers or simply glutenous, who had both)!!  Always the bridesmaid and never the bride-hence not a picture in sight!!

3 comments:

  1. HI Elli

    Lovely cakes, and a Happy Birthday to Jack.

    Hugs Jill xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Jack and I have to say that I one awesome looking mud cake.

    ReplyDelete